Contributions are welcome, and they are greatly appreciated! Every little bit helps, and credit will always be given. You can contribute in many ways.
Before you get started, remember that it is easier for us to accept pull requests that are narrow in scope and easy to review. Ideally we want to see pull requests with a commit that is a logical changeset so plan to work in this fashion.
When committing a change, please include the issue number in your commit comment. This helps us track the progress in the related issue. This works like so
$ git commit CONTRIBUTING.rst -m ‘improved the contributing docs for #1’
TODO: define some guidelines for what makes something easy to review.
Pick up labeled tasks¶
We label some issues to guide contributions.
- These bugs can be done by people with a beginning level of skill.
- These bugs can be done easily by people with an intermediate level or skill or by patient beginners who get frequent review.
- These can be done by people who are experts but don’t have much time to devote to long term tasks.
- These are tasks where we welcome discussion about the ideas mentioned in the issue
If you see a task that is not already being worked on, feel free to claim it by leaving a comment and start working.
For more advanced tasks and tasks without these labels, please talk to us first.
Reviewing Code and Concepts¶
We are always learning. Review code in our repository and suggest improvements and alternatives to our approaches.
Look through pull requests and review the changes.
Help us by discussing issues we’ve tagged with the brainstorming label
Report bugs in our issue tracker. https://github.com/researchcompendia/researchcompendia/issues.
If you are reporting a bug, please include:
- Your browser information.
- Any details about your local setup that might be helpful in troubleshooting.
- Detailed steps to reproduce the bug.
Give us feeback¶
We could always use more documentation, whether as part of the official docs, in docstrings, or even on the web in blog posts, articles, and such.